[open-science] open access perils? (#RIP @aaronscwarz)

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:22:31 UTC 2013

On 12 January 2013 17:25, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, the various state departments would much rather we discuss
> and despair of the details of the Assange rape case than step back and
> look in overview at the various weapons used against Wikileaks prior
> to that.

I'm not comfortable holding Assange up as an example of someone persecuted
for their ideals, while it remains a serious possibility that he is hiding
from a trial about an unrelated matter in a democratic country. Wikileaks,
perhaps, but not Assange personally.

>    Likewise, I am sure that those motivated to prosecute
> Aaron Swartz would rather we express suitable sorrow at a 'troubled
> young man' or some other such slander.

Slander? Accounts from his friends say that he had been suffering from
depression for years [1]. I agree that Swartz was probably unfairly treated
after the JSTOR episode, but we shouldn't assume that his suicide was a
direct consequence of that. And it feels highly inappropriate, a day later,
to be making it some kind of case study for the persecution of open access
supporters.

> The problem with the implication that it always goes well, is that it
> is so astonishing and then invisible to others, when it goes badly.
> I think Paola is right - these things may take courage. If we give the
> naive belief that we'll be treated fairly by opposing interests, it
> weakens rather than strengthens the - sorry I will use this word -
> cause.

Whose cause? A core feature of the open 'movements' is that we're not a
unified force fighting for a single cause. We have many different
viewpoints, and we work together where our aims coincide. Again, this is
the open science list: Swartz is relevant to open science, but Wikileaks,
Assange & Manning are decidedly not.

Your use of the word 'cause' is interesting and unsettling. I fear that
when you're driven by a cause, it's all too easy to lose sight of
individuals. For now, at least, let Aaron Swartz's death be an individual
tragedy, not a loss to some higher cause. Likewise, let's not discount
serious possible wrongdoings by Assange as an individual, just because he
appears to share your cause.

[1] http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html

Thomas