[open-science] looking for high-impact success stories of open science

Jenny Molloy jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 01:03:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM, david osimo <david.osimo at gmail.com> wrote:

> By the way: why don't we build opensciencestories.org?

Excellent idea! I will start the ball rolling for the working group to
register the domain and would encourage everyone to continue sending in
their own stories for David's presentation, we can hopefully get longer
write ups of these to post. Paolo's point about not focusing only on
success stories is valid, although I'm not sure this site would be
appropriate for the stories raised in that thread, it would certainly be
interesting to hear about where open science projects have encountered
problems and lessons have been learnt. I have at least two stories in mind,
one based on a talk by Anna Croft at OKCon 2011 about difficulties
encountered trying to integrate open approaches into the university
curriculum and get undergrads working openly on their projects and another
about the Malaria Atlas Project where data licensing became an issue
leading to a long slog contacting hundreds of data providers for a second
time in order to release the datasets openly (talk by Catherine Moyes,
Dryad UK Workshop 2011).

Jenny