[open-science] Mathematicians aim to take publishers out of publishing

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 17:45:00 UTC 2013

On Jan 18, 2013, at 9:39 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Jack Park <jackpark at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some structure in documents is quite useful when viewed through the
>> lens of harvesting the text documents into other structured
>> representations such as ontologies, issue maps, topic maps.
>>

> Completely agreed. But since every publisher uses different approaches they
> destroy structure (e.g. they all do references differently - this destroys
> value). By contrast PubMed adds consistent and publisher-independent
> structure

Semantic structure is very important, esp. for automated discovery and content mining, although good typography and formatting make for a pleasant reading experience for humans as well. In my view, PLOS does this very well (in fact, PLOS seems to do just about everything very well).

--
Puneet Kishor
Policy Coordinator for Science and Data