[open-science] Mathematicians aim to take publishers out of publishing

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 22:46:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Mr. Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2013, at 9:39 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Jack Park <jackpark at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Some structure in documents is quite useful when viewed through the
> >> lens of harvesting the text documents into other structured
> >> representations such as ontologies, issue maps, topic maps.
> >>

> > Completely agreed. But since every publisher uses different approaches
> they
> > destroy structure (e.g. they all do references differently - this
> destroys
> > value). By contrast PubMed adds consistent and publisher-independent
> > structure
> >

> Semantic structure is very important, esp. for automated discovery and
> content mining,

Yes. PMC adds it through NLMDTD. Publishers do not add it. It's actually
quite
 easy to add - I am developing software to restructure and restructure
scholarly pubs - except I shall be sued if I actually use it.

although good typography and formatting make for a pleasant reading
> experience for humans as well. In my view,

You love reading reference lists where you cannot tell the journal number
from the year from the page. Reading double column  format on a landscape
PC?? Where archaic fonts turn mathematic symbols into gobbledgook?

PLOS does this very well (in fact, PLOS seems to do just about everything
> very well).

Yes