[open-science] phd project on open science

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 15:58:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Benedikt Fecher <fecher at hiig.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am a 'fresh' doctoral researcher at the Humboldt Institute for Internet
> and Society since Septemer 2012. The topic of my research is open science;
> respectively open research & participation.

Greetings,

> Since I am dealing with open science in my phd, I thought, I should also
> practice what I preach. So I wrote a blog entry about my understanding of
> open science and how I want to explore it. In the entry I included a link
> that leads to a Google Doc with a first scratch of my research design.

I've read your blog and offer brief comments.
* it's useful to carry out the sort of analysis you are undertaking
* you are right that there is no simple or universal view. However talking
of an "impossible dream" and arguing against it is too simplistic and will
alienate many. You should be as dispassionate as possible and analyse the
current positions.

> Since open science is a topic that is near and dear to all of you and
> since you have surely more experience than me with the issue in both,
> theory and practice, I venture the step and post the link  to the blog
> article in this mailing list:
> http://www.hiig.de/en/open-science-in-academic-research-open-draft-2/
>
> For those of you that have a few free minutes and any interest in what I
> wrote and am planning to do, I invite you to skim through the article and
> the linked scratch paper of my research design. Neither my conceptual frame
> nor my methodological approach is cut in stone yet.

Good. You will need to create clear acceptable methodology.

> I really appreciate your feedback, reading suggestions, criticism or
> praise, inspiration, ideas etc. – ideally as a comment in the document or
> in an Email to me.
> Please accept my apologies if this Email is not of any relevance for you.

In the first instance a collection of resources potentially labelled as
"open science" will be very valuable for the community.

P.