[open-science] Fake Cancer study published in 157 Open Access Journals

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 7 17:39:43 UTC 2013

There is a more-or-less definitive rejection at
http://gunther-eysenbach.blogspot.ca/ . Eysenbach received submissions of
the hoax and rejected them for his high-quality OA journal.

We've been through this before with PRISM (not the current one) but one
commisioned by legacy publishers to discredit OA. See
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2007/10/02/why-open-access-really-matters/(my
comments on Peter Suber's critique).PRISM had a strap line "OA is junk
science". This is the ghost of PRISM rising Zombie like.

It has to be defended, but my guess is that there's enough fury in the
blogosphere that a considered response will arise. I'd look to OASPA as
focus.  I'd take Eysenbach as starting point. I wouldn't write volumes. The
affair  lowers Sciencemag to the levels of the Daily Mail. It's a sad fact
that we are fighting billions of dollars with volunteer labour. The
important think is that we are united.

This is a political activity. Personally I am concentrating on fighting for
the right to mine content - I think our very thinly spread energies have to
be used judiciously. We have right on our side but there is a very tough
battle.