[open-science] Fake Cancer study published in 157 Open Access Journals

Francois Grey francois.grey at cern.ch
Mon Oct 7 20:34:13 UTC 2013

Hi Peter, Klaus,

Let's keep our eyes on the ball here. We can agree to respectfully disagree about some of the specifics of the study, but when it comes to influence, and article in The Economist (millions of readers, many of whom are highly influential yet not well-versed in science publishing issues) totally dwarfs the impact of a personal opinion in "Gunther Eysenbach's Random Research Rants".

This one isn't going to go away just because parts of the blogosphere wish it would. Science is the highest ranking journal in the US. Bohannon is an experienced and respected science journalist. IMHO, what he did is a decent piece of investigative science journalism. Holding it up to the ethical standards of scientific publications misses the point. Beall, himself, has praised Bohannon's study<http://scholarlyoa.com/2013/10/03/science/#more-2386>.

I agree with Peter that OKF should stay focussed on its core competence in this area, opening up scientific data. But it would be wonderful to see an alliance of reputable institutions like OKF putting together a concise, well-formulated rebuttal, and broadcasting it well beyond the confines of the OA community. Starting with the Letters column of The Economist.

The issue here is not the study itself, but the distortions that mainstream media is introducing in transmitting its main message. I agree with Klaus: let's focus on the message, not the messenger.

Francois