[open-science] Publishing curated email lists

Stacy Konkiel stacy at altmetric.com
Thu Jun 23 17:29:31 UTC 2016

Hi Alexandre,

This hasn't been an issue on this list (as far as I can remember), but a
recent conversation about privilege that happened on the SCHOLCOMM listserv
comes to mind as an example of one that's a) worthy of archiving and also
b) a conversation where some participants perhaps wouldn't want their

For some, it's one thing to have your emails buried in a listserv archive
that is technically public, (assumedly) receives only light traffic, and is
associated with a non-profit--it's another thing entirely for a company to
reuse your emails, make them more discoverable (The Winnower has great SEO
and lots of attention from the larger scholcomm and open science
communities), and put your words out there without your express permission.

I do not mean to pick on The Winnower or call Josh's intentions into
question--I think his idea is a great one and capturing important debates
that happen on listservs like this one is yet another way of elevating
"non-traditional" scholarship.

Indeed, we at Altmetric have been wrestling with a similar issue (as we
collate and archive public conversations around scholarship in general that
happen all across social media, blogs, news papers, policy, etc). We're
similarly a company that, in some cases, surfaces conversations that
technically happen in public but take place with a certain expectation of
"privacy through obscurity" (if you will)--things like patients discussing
a disease between themselves on a public patient advocacy blog that only
has a few hundred visitors a month.

The moral aspect of reusing others' data is not something that we've taken
lightly, and I appreciate that Josh has similarly been sensitive to these
issues. I hope there's an easy way around the "opt-out" issue--would love
to see this idea come to fruition!

Stacy