[Open-transport] Conferences on open transport?

Paul Kelly paul at pdkelly.de
Mon Nov 2 12:51:58 UTC 2015

On 11/02/2015 11:59 AM, Pieter Colpaert wrote:

> I would love to organise a conference focused on public transit route
> planning as well, and invite both academics, industry and facilitators.
> The industry, in this case not being transit companies, but creators of
> route planners such as GoAbout, Bing, Here, Mapzen, PlannerStack,
> MapBox, Ally, CityMapper, Hacon, Amadeus, TransitApp, Captain Train,
> Loco2, kisio (CanalTP), etc. and facilitators being for example, OpenOV,
> iRail, TrafficLab, European Passenger Federation, Open Knowledge, etc.

I would be very interested in this if the subject matter also
incorporated fares (including the routes permitted for travelling on a
given fare, time and date restrictions etc.). Some of this information
has been open in Great Britain for a few years now
(<http://data.atoc.org/fares-data>), and just recently I discovered that
the Eurostar fares guide, containing quite a bit of detail (although not
live quota availability of course) is also open:
<http://www.eurostar4agents.com/files/fareguidenovember2015.pdf>.

I think there could be some really interesting papers and discussions to
be had about how to combine fares data with the output of journey/route
planners. But I can't think of a good phrase (more general than "public
transit route planning") that covers all of this!

Paul