[openspending-dev] openspending and openspendingjs as separate repositories

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Wed Aug 1 19:48:59 UTC 2012

Hi Friedrich,

2012/8/1 Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org>

> you're probably right with your point about versioning - although we
> used to have a stated relationship using submodules that we could just
> revive.

I've never had good experiences with git-submodule. I guess you haven't as
well, considering that you're not using it anymore.

> In either case, I'd be ok with combining the two, although I
> believe we're trading in simplicity for us at the cost of new
> contributors.

I don't know about the cost of new contributors. If you think it'll make a
big difference for their workflow, I guess we should talk more.

One thing we should not end up with is having the JS at
> openspending/ui/public/static/openspendingjs. Could we do a directory
> called 'js' in the repo root and mount it via some kind of static
> route?

Why not? I don't know what's pylons'/pyramid's default folder structure,
but it seems like that static/javascript is the standard place to put js (
https://github.com/Pylons/Kotti).

> Anyway, I don't think this is a killing priority as long as we use
> feature branches.

Merging the repositories shouldn't take long. But how feature branching
help solve this problem? You mean, whenever developing a new story, create
the same branch in both openspending/openspendingjs, and merge to master
both at the same time, whenever they're done?

Cheers!
Vítor