[kforge-dev] activity on kforge hotting up

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftwarefoundation.org
Fri Apr 22 17:08:09 UTC 2005

Hello Jo!

Jo Walsh wrote:

>hello John, wave at Rufus,
>
>On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:05:36AM +0100, John Bywater wrote:
>

>>As Rufus said, I am working two weeks each month to develop the
>>KnowledgeForge system.
>>

>This is great! I look forward to seeing it grow; perhaps we can fidn a
>use case for it with some of the free map data.

Let's hope so. :-) Perhaps we could chat a bit more about writing it?

>I have offered a day a week, though realistically i will not be able
>to make good on that until June; too much on my plate :/ but i will be
>a very enthusiastic lurker and able to do quick-response stuff.

OK, I'll try to keep the list posted of my developments....

For now, I've created an distributable/installable 'kforge' Python
module with the distutils stuff, written a little documentation for the
package, added configuration files and data files to the module, added
support for installing to (and running from) alternative locations.

Now that package installer stuff has been done, I'm just writing some
code to rebuild the configuration from templates and key/value pairs.

>Apart from my use cases for this and the other OKFN services i am
>interested in this because i used to do quite a lot with the semweb,
>RDF and so on, i still do a fair bit of that; the tools i am working
>on now are more to do with world-description - events and places and
>so on - than idea-description, but there are always connections and
>the underlying principles are pretty generic.

That all sounds great.

>I would like to brign some of that to kforge i suppose, makign sure
>that as much as possible is exposed at the edges, that syndication
>between differenbt data sources and storages is easy...

Would like to help you bring as much of that to kforge as possible.

And indeed let's make 'sure that as much as possible is exposed at the
edges'...

Thanks a lot for your message ;-) bye for now....

Best wishes,

John.