[Okfn-dk] community building by open data landscape mapping for the world wide web foundation

miska knapek miska at knapek.org
Wed Apr 30 08:22:27 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

( I'll write this in English just so everyone's on board… and so I get to
recycle the email for the other Nordic countries ;)

In short : I wonder if there might be an opportunity to gather the
community around the Web Foundation's open knowledge/agency survey. ( Of
course, one could combine this with the Open Index mapping, as there's a
fair bit of overlap ).
It could be a great opportunity to further build the community and get it
thinking further about what open data is.

The story is that I got a request to map Norway for the Web Foundation, as
I had last year.
But being short of time I threw out the request to the Norwegians on the
Nordic Open Knowledge ecosystem facebook group. It seems there's a
community of interested folks gathering.

So, while I don't know what the original surveyor for Denmark is thinking
and what s/he'll reply to the Web Foundation, but perhaps it could make
sense to use this task as an opportunity to gather the community in Denmark
too.  One cold have either or both of online collaboration and/or
get-togethers.

While, again, I think the Open Data Index is great - and I've seen it
mentioned in governmental reports ( such as the recent Swedish one ) - the
Web Foundation's stuff goes perhaps a bit further into looking into the
social impacts of information access.

In this way, having a community do the survey also acts as a bit of an
education into what open data/knowledge is and what it can engender.

( I'll just add that, having seen both the Open Data Index and the Web
Foundation's survey, I'd say that while the Open Data Index is great, the
Web Foundation goes into many more qualitative details, such as having to
find several sets of media coverage of evidence for the social impacts of
open data. It took me about ten days to do the surveying last year… and the
task is bigger this year, as the surveys for the Open Data Barometer and
The Web Index are being combined ).

So, sorry for the long email.

What do you think?

all the best,

miska

--
miska michael knapek - your local illusionist (designer)
mob. +358-50-320-2616