[OpenGLAM] [Sign Up] Unseen Illustrations - British Library Labs Data Day

Sam Leon sam.leon at okfn.org
Tue Dec 3 13:02:10 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Thanks for raising the important point that not all the collections that we
will be showcased are open (yet!).

However, the British Library hosts a number of collections that are Open
Definition compliant that we can work with for example:

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/welcome.htm
http://openglam.org/2013/12/03/music-manuscripts-from-the-17th-and-18th-centuries-in-the-british-library/(which
is featured in this
month's Curator's
Choice<http://openglam.org/2013/12/03/music-manuscripts-from-the-17th-and-18th-centuries-in-the-british-library/>
)

It is through events like these that we can come together and demonstrate
there is real demand on the part of developers, researchers and the wider
community for a more concerted effort to open up image collections at
institutions like the British Library.

It's a gradual process, but I believe there is a real willingness on the
part of the British Library to begin to open up bit by bit. My hope is that
through the event and the British Library Labs competition we can cook up
some awesome examples of open source tools working with open image
collections that will bolster the case for this happening sooner rather
than later!

Best.
Sam

*Sam LeonProject Manager  | skype: samedleon  |  @Noel_Mas