[open-science] SHARE hackathon in DC on June 20/21

Andrew Sallans andrew at cos.io
Fri Jun 5 21:10:12 UTC 2015

Save the date!  Location to be announced soon, but it will be in the Dupont
Circle, Washington, DC area.  Hosted by the Center for Open Science
<http://cos.io>, SHARE's technical partner.  SHARE <http://osf.io/share> is
a collaboration between the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the
Association of American Universities (AAU), the Association of Public and
Land-grant Universities (APLU), and the Center for Open Science (COS).

RSVP here:  http://www.meetup.com/openscience/events/222478531/

-------------------------------------

See the SHARE Notify service:  http://osf.io/share

See the SHARE API:  https://osf.io/dajtq/wiki/home/
<https://osf.io/dajtq/wiki/home/>

Learn more about the non-profit tech startup Center for Open Science:
http://cos.io  <http://cos.io/>

Find out about developer jobs at the Center for Open Science:
http://cos.io/jobs

--------------------------------------

Potential hack projects might include:

Harvesters

So far, we have over 38 content providers, and we need your help to add
more! Have a favorite research aggregator or journal with an API with open
metadata? Want to browse our list of APIs that have open research metadata?
That's all you need to get started.

Data Analysis/Visualization

We have a nearly full Elasticsearch API, and have started developing a
python library to facilitate analysis of SHARE data. You can help
contribute to this library, including porting it to other languages (like
R). You can also use the library to create interesting and meaningful
analysis of the data, looking at terms, fields provided, etc.

Data Enrichment

We gather a lot of unique identifiers (DOI, urls, etc), which is an easy
way to connect data from disparate sources. Using information like
contributors, titles, descriptions, and sponsors to perform cross-provider
analyses will allow us to enrich the data we are gathering. We can also
pull information about authors and sponsors from third party websites
(ORCID, Impact story, Altmetrics, etc), and add that data to the aggregate
metadata for a document.

RSVP <http://www.meetup.com/openscience/events/222478531/> to show your
interest and tentative availability to participate in this 2-day hacking
event.

--
Center for Open Science (http://centerforopenscience.org)
Partnerships, Collaborations, and Funding

We're hiring!  See what's open: http://cos.io/jobs

Have you tried the Open Science Framework yet?  It's free!  Improve your
research today:  http://osf.io